Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Nostalgia of the Infinite



I love this painting and even just it's title. But the combination is magic.

"Nostalgia of the Infinite" inspires awe in me. Also a sense that it's not just awe at a potential thing that might theoretically exist. But instead at something that you know, and had known and experienced and enjoyed at one time, that you remember fondly (ie. theophany on a grand scale).

It warms the heart and produces a hope and yearning.

May have been silly, but commenting on my sister's blog it inspired me to write:
Remember, before we started constantly breaking everything down into tiny pieces to analyze and control? It used to just stretch out there before us, vaster than worlds, boundless and heart-shaking, beyond imagination.

Man, I long for that feeling again.

(And, via the wonder of "nostalgia" here it is!)

No comments:

Post a Comment