Sunday, August 16, 2009

Swords & Wizardry


"Old School" gaming kind of intrigues me. I love the trappings, the sketchy artwork, the sketchy, gritty artwork, "kitchen sink" monsterous compendiums, how the original authors were just trying to throw in random stuff they thought was cool, whatever house-rule mechanic they thought would best model a concept.

I haven't looked over Swords & Wizardry enough to know if it captures all of that (they claim to be an old-D&D clone, so that's that). But at very least their cover art really does it for me.

Personally these days I'm more interested in the idea of playing small, elegant, generic systems which are easily customizable. But for ideas and ambiance I still look to the classics.

Swords & Wizardry Core Rules

Swords & Wizardry White Box


Via The Dice of Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment